Stair parts will play an integral role in your staircase installation or staircase renovation project in Atlanta, Georgia. Today, stair part manufacturers produce both stock and custom parts in a dizzying array of styles. It is therefore a good idea to take the time to familiarize yourself with the many different types of stair parts that go into assembling a set of stairs. The following is a glossary of stair part terminology – an overview of staircase anatomy, if you will.
- Treads – the horizontal components of a staircase upon which people walk
- Risers – the vertical components of a staircase upon which the treads are placed
- Balusters – vertical stair parts used between the handrail and treads or floor to provide stability to the balustrade
- Handrail – the railing that is used for hand support
- Balustrade – the name for the fully assembled rail system
- Newel – a vertical post used to start a balustrade system
- Fittings – the parts that are used to create a smooth transition when the handrail changes height or direction
- Nosings – the portion of a tread or landing that protrudes over the face of the riser
- Goosenecks – specialized fittings used to facilitate directional changes
- Rosettes – decorative handrail anchors
- Volutes – ornamental fittings used at the bottom of staircases
For more information about these and other stair parts, contact Vision Stairways and Millwork. We are a one-stop shop for all things stair-related with a facility located just outside of Atlanta, GA. Turn to us for high-quality stair components and helpful advice.